Sunday, March 15, 2009

Contentment


Today at church our pastor spoke on Contentment ... my word for the year. It made me go today and reflect on what has been going on in my life, so far this year, in regard to Contentment. One thing that really jumped out at me and got my attention ... our pastor mentioned that are we content in just some areas of our life but, struggling in others. I think it is easy for me to give some areas over to God but, to try and hold on to other areas that I feel I should be more in control.

I also realized I really need to be careful about letting others stir up discontentment in my heart. Sometimes life is going along great but, a meeting with a friend or friends, and hearing the wonderful things they are doing can bring me to begin feeling discontentment in my heart. I need to remind myself in those moments that "Contentment" is when all my desires are held back. I need to find my peace in Jesus Christ.

"... do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. An the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil 4:6-7

In the coming months, I would like to find myself in a better place Contentment wise. Especially in the following areas:

~ Homeschooling Decisions - curriculum, classes, etc.
~ Family Relations

I need to rejoice in the areas that I truly feel content:

~ My marriage and our family life
~ Our home and other earthly possessions - we live such an abundant life I can not imagine how someone in our area could be discontent in this part of their life.

"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment ... " 1 Timothy 6:6

No comments: