Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring Break Trip - Asheville, NC

We spent the last weekend of our Spring Break visiting my parents and several of my siblings in Asheville. It was a fun packed weekend from the moment we arrived!

My parents have year round passes to the Biltmore so that was our first stop ... I really had wanted to go for their Spring Flower Festival and it did not disappoint! While my Dad, my brother and my husband toured the house with our kids - my Mom and I enjoyed just wandering the outside grounds, shopping and enjoying a lemonade.

{Pictured above exterior shots of the Biltmore House - the largest home in America. Pictured below an outside wall of the greenhouse on the Biltmore Estate.}


{Pictured above - Ava Mae enjoying the tulip garden view}
On Saturday we enjoyed the NC Arboretum, another location my parents have year long passes to ... it is a beautiful area! Our main reason for heading up there was the current exhibit they had on the Cherokee Indians. Devin really enjoyed reading all the displays and seeing the artifacts - bringing the history we have studied these last few months to life. The exhibit is on loan from the Smithsonian.

I also enjoyed an afternoon of antique shopping at The Tobacco Barn! It is a happening place on any given weekend ... I could have spent two full days at this place and never seen everything. I really loved the antique school desks and books I found. I ended up buying just an old milk bottle from the Biltmore Dairy and two old school books from 1925. I have my eye on two different styles of school desks and a table for Lexi's room - if they are still there when I go back in June I think we will be finding a way for those pieces to return to Atlanta with us.
{Pictured above my mom and sister enjoying some antique shopping. Below - Lexi next to the typewriter she really wanted to bring home.}
I also was able to get Lexi and Ava Mae registered for their ballet summer workshop at my sister's ballet company. They cannot wait to dance where she dances! So we will be heading to Asheville again in June for their week long camp. I am on the hunt now to find Devin a camp that same week in Asheville.

No comments: