Friday, January 25, 2013

January Blahs ...


The dreaded January blahs ... every year they set in. I can feel them creeping in as December rolls to a close and we welcome the start of a new year. This year it seemed they were delayed slightly by having a sweet Latvian girl here until January 13th but, as soon as she left, they set in with a vengeance. 


It didn't help that for a solid week after Miranda left we had rain. When the sun finally shone one January morning my kids did not know what to think ... the house was so bright once again. 


I did get a chance to get away for a homeschool retreat at the beginning of the month which was absolutely wonderful! For a weekend I was able to take in the beautiful sites of my favorite retreat facility - Winshape. It was such a restful and spiritual weekend. I made peace with a hard decision through prayer and the support of friends.


January can be hard ... back to school with a long time before another fun break {no February vacation to look forward to this year due to a ballet performance both girls are in at the end of the month}, short days, cold and many times gloomy days. But, in all of that, I need to remember to just look around even in these cold gloomy winter months God gives us such beauty. Just looking at the pictures I have snapped over the past month with my iPhone makes me want to smile.  

God gives us beauty and peace in the everyday!

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You too, huh? This January has seemed soooo long for me. Maybe, in part, because we had to let our Latvian kids go back and that just deepened the gloom. Glad to know you had some bright moments. Me, I can't wait until Spring! :)