Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Time to Regroup and Refocus


Last night was our homeschool group meeting. It is always so refreshing after the holidays to go and listen to a fabulous speaker and last night was no exception. Our speaker talked about "expectations" and "pride" and how it effects us as homeschoolers and what the scripture says. This talk seemed to be exactly what I needed to hear and I walked away with a new perspective on things. One quote I wrote down, which really hit home from last night was, "It is a marathon not a sprint and you will never check off all the boxes." Being firstborn, I can tend to be a little bit of a perfectionist. I have high expectations for our homeschooling and can be quite prideful. I love having a perfectly organized teacher's lesson plan book with perfectly written out lessons and activities for the week. If I do not feel like we will get through everything by the end of the week I begin to get quite frustrated and I know my kids bare the brunt of the frustration. I definitely have areas in my life and homeschooling where I feel I know best. Last night I was reminded that pride and high expectations are like waving a fist of rebellion in the face of the ruler of the universe. I need to remember to take everything to Jesus in prayer not just the few choice areas I have decided to turn over to Him.

This week has been a great week to regroup and refocus. I am making changes where changes need to be made and after last night will spend more time in prayer over what the rest of our year will look like. I do not like to have "New Year's Resolutions" because I feel for the most part it is silly. Instead, I like to work on one area of my life. This year I have decided that will be finding joy in the everyday. That will begin with me finding joy in my kids just being kids. I am going to let go of some of those "high expectations" that I have and let them just enjoy having fun. I am going to remember why it is we homeschool - not just to check off boxes.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," decalares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8

No comments: