Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Reads

I can't believe that summer is sailing by so quickly. It is hard to believe that in less than a month the public schools in this area will start back. Thankfully, we homeschool so our start date will be delayed by a couple of weeks but, our activities will gear back up by the second week of August.

I am excited though to be almost completely through my summer reads. I love that summer affords me an opportunity to just read whatever I want!

This summer I enjoyed reading Eat, Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert along with a friend. We have enjoyed reading, comparing notes on what we thought, and dining at restaurants that correspond with the book. I am also looking forward to the movie being released.

I also had to read Emily Giffin's newest book, Heart of the Matter, she is a local author and I have read all of her books so far. This most recent release was not my favorite but, a very easy read, I was done in one day.

My favorite books so far have been the Mitford Series by Jan Karon. This series is written by a christian author and is set in a fictitious small town in North Carolina. It follows an Episcopal priest and various members of his congregation and town folk. I had heard from several people that the first two books were really slow but, the third book is set after his marriage and was livelier. I have enjoyed the series so much that I will go back and read the first two books also. Also, love the cookbook that goes along with the series. Reading this series has made me want to pack up and move our family to a small town, though I really doubt small towns like this exist anymore.

3 comments:

Renee said...

Great books! I finished the third book last night (These High Green Hills). I just reserved bk. 4 & 5 for this week. I have the cookbook in the kitchen, too. I haven't made anything yet, though. Have fun reading, friend!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nicole @Team Pipkin said...

I also finished reading Eat, Pray, Love. Right after that I went straight into her other book Committed to find out how there story ends. Both were good book.