Monday, September 12, 2011

TOS Crew Review: Big IQ Kids

<span class=

Recently we were given the opportunity to review an educational website for students from Kindergarten on up called
Big IQ Kids.

My 4th grader, Devin, and my 3rd grader, Lexi, both received a premium membership for the purpose of this review and neither could wait to dive right in and see what this site was all about.
BigIQkids.com offers several areas for your students to utilize ...
Math
<span class=

Spelling

<span class=

Geography

<span class=

My 4th grader loved every area of BigIQkids.com - he really enjoyed the math and US States sections. Also the fact that with the completion of each unit he received a game token he could use in the Game Area of BigIQkids.com. I liked the fact that parents could decide if the game tokens could be used immediately or had to be stored up for use on the weekends.


My 3rd grader enjoyed working in both the Math and US States sections but, found the Spelling area challenging due to the computerized voice that gave her the word. I have to add though that she has dyslexia and hearing the correct pronunciation of a word is very important for her to be able to spell correctly. I loved the Spelling area - it was one of my favorites on this site because, I could customize their spelling list to the one we were using each week in their curriculum. I think this part of the program would be a fantastic tool for any child to have who has weekly spelling tests.


The pricing for this site ranges from FREE to $149.99 for a premium classroom membership. So what is the difference between a FREE and Premium membership, I took this directly from Big IQ Kids website:
The primary differences between the BigIQkids FREE and PREMIUM programs are the ability of the PREMIUM program to monitor the progress of the student and advance that student only when mastery of the subject matter has been achieved. Additionally, PREMIUM members have their progress tracked, saved, problem areas identified and these findings are reported via email to parents and/or teachers. The PREMIUM program offers students customized buddies, full game page access and the ability to save game coins and gaming high scores. These functions help double the fun while mastering core academic subject matter. The PREMIUM program has very LIMITED advertisement an no ads are displayed during lesson interaction.
Overall, I am so excited to have this wonderful addition to our curriculum this year. It has given my two oldest children a way to drill both spelling and math in a fun way. I really like the emails I receive from Big IQ Kids with an update on my child's progress in their lessons. I feel the site can be a little hard to navigate at times, in the beginning, but, once you figure out your way around it was simple. For our family, this has been a great way for the kids to continue with spelling and math drills and have fun at the same time.

To purchase a membership for yourself or try out the free areas of Big IQ Kids head on over to their website. Trust me, you will be glad you did!!

Would you like to read what others thought of this website? Head on over to the TOS Crew Blog to read what other crew members thought.

&<span class=

Disclaimer: I am reviewing this product on behalf of the TOS Crew. I received no compensation, other than two free premium memberships, for the writing of this review. The contents of this review express my personal opinion of the website.

No comments: