Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TOS Crew Review : "Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here" from Apologia

Photobucket
Several of our homeschool friends have been using the "What We Believe" series from Apologia for their bible curriculum and I have been hearing such good things. I was so excited to be chosen to review, in our homeschool, the second book in the series entitled - Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here.

And, not only did I get the chance to review the actual hardcover book, Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here, Apologia was so nice and sent out the Notebooking Journal, Audio MP3 CD, and 64 page Coloring Book which all go along with this particular book.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

So what is this particular book in the series all about? This is directly from Apologia's website:
The second book in the What We Believe series, Who Am I? (And What Am I Doing Here?) helps children understand what it means to be fearfully and wonderfully made in the image of the Most High God. This study will enable students to develop a healthy self-image based on these biblical truths: God made me in His image and crowned me with glory; He has given me special gifts and a unique purpose in life; I can creatively express God's love; I am meant to think about beautiful and praiseworthy things, especially God and His Word; I must make decisions based on God's truth; I can always know the wise thing to do; I must cultivate the fruit of the Spirit in my life; I am a beloved child of God whose true identity is found in Christ.
We began using the curriculum as soon as we received it. I found immediately, like all of the Apologia books we have used so far, that this book was written to the student. The stories were interesting and biblical truths were explained in easy to understand language. The series is written on the 5th or 6th grade level but, is meant to be used with a wide array of ages from six to fourteen years old - which I know like in our home is a huge selling point for most homeschool families. I will say there is a lot of reading! I was so thankful for the MP3 Audio CD - so easy to put in our laptop and listen to. 


And, while my 9 and 10 year old enjoyed working in the Notebooking Journal, my 7 year old LOVED the coloring book {she so often feels left out because she cannot read or write as well as Devin and Lexi so this was the perfect tie in for her}. 

Both of these supplemental materials really allows for all different ages to be included in the bible study. Already, we have had some amazing discussions come out of our lessons. There have even been some tears as some of what we discussed has really hit home.

Photobucket
Like everything we have used from the Apologia, this book did not disappoint. We will finish up this book and my plan is to purchase the first book in the series and go through that next. {The books do not need to be done in order.}  

Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here? can be purchased directly from Apologia for $39.00. The following items are also available directly from Apologia - Notebooking Journal ($24.00), Audio MP3 CD ($19.00), and Coloring Book ($8.00).

Would you like to read what my fellow crew mates thought of Apologia's - Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here? Then head on over to the TOS Crew Blog.

&&&&&&&&<span class=

Disclaimer: I am reviewing this product on behalf of the TOS Crew. I received no compensation, other than the bible study curriculum items for Who Am I and What Am I Doing Here from Apologia, for the writing of this review. The contents of this review express my personal opinion of the curriculum.

No comments: