Saturday, October 6, 2012

Recipe : Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake



We had new neighbors move into the home across the street two weeks ago and I wanted to bake them something to welcome them to the neighborhood. I remembered this great recipe from The Picky Palate that I had pinned last year {Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cake with Spiced Pumpkin Buttercream Frosting}. I pinned it because, I thought it was a great recipe to easily pack up and give and bonus - it had pumpkin in it.


I followed the recipe from The Picky Palate with these modifications - I took out the box of pudding called for in the cake recipe. I have made recipes in the past with the pudding and found it makes for a really dense and heavy cake. I felt the pumpkin alone would make this cake heavy without that addition and I was right. Also, I sprinkled the chocolate chips on top of the cake batter after pouring into two pans rather than incorporating into the batter during the mixing process.


For the icing my modifications were - adding 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice rather than the 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon the recipe calls for. The recipe was a huge hit. My family devoured our pan and our neighbors loved it too. I received a thank you card telling us how super yummy it was and asking for the recipe.

Pictured below is the cake all dressed up ready to go to our new neighbors.


No comments: