Thursday, March 29, 2012

TOS Crew Review : I See Sam


We have been so blessed this year to be able to review several different reading/phonics curriculum. Recently, we had the opportunity to review Academic Success for All Learners "Little Books" or as we like to call them the "I See Sam" books. Developed at Utah State University and based on extensive research the "I See Sam" books are a complete reading program for students Kindergarten Level through 3rd grade.

Photobucket

Each level has a set of books {27 books each in the sets we received} that correspond. Ava Mae loved reading the books and I enjoyed the review lists at the beginning and end of each book. Also, I was really pleased with the incorporation of sight words into the program. {While it is great to teach phonics I feel kids really need sight words to be able to pick up a book and begin reading.}

I would suggest having your child take a placement test to see which set they should begin with. Then after having your child placed in the appropriate level I would highly recommend taking a look at the scope and sequence for the program.

One thing I found helpful was making up word cards from our sight words or words Ava Mae seemed to get mixed up constantly like "on" and "in".
The "I See Sam" books can be purchased directly from Academic Success. The sets retail for $30 each and come with everything you need to get started including an instruction guide, progress chart, and achievement certificates.

Would you like to read what my fellow crew mates thought of Academic Success for All Learners "Little Books"? Then head on over to the TOS Crew Blog.

&&&&&&&&<span class=

Disclaimer: I am reviewing this curriculum on behalf of the TOS Crew. I received no compensation, other than 2 sets of "Little Books" from Academic Success for All Learners, for the writing of this review. The contents of this review express my personal opinion of the product.

No comments: