Sunday, March 4, 2012

TOS Crew Review : K5 Learning

Photobucket
I have never been a big fan of web based learning ... until this year I would have said I was completely against it. My opinion though has changed, maybe because my children are older now and need less help while on the computer or, maybe because I am finally seeing the benefits of web based learning applications.

Photobucket

For the past few weeks, we have been using K5 Learning with our 3rd grader, Lexi. K5 is another great online supplemental learning site with four areas - Reading, Spelling, Math and Math Facts for the student in Kindergarten through 5th grade. Easily customizable, there are actually over 3,000 lessons available on the site.

Photobucket
A huge benefit for K5 Learning is that it offers a free reading and math assessment. I always love knowing where my kids are skill wise - Lexi tested just above her grade level, which is kind of where I expected. After the assessment your child is placed by skill level into the appropriate sections.

Photobucket
Another great plus for K5 is that it is not a "cutesy" website. While I think that type of site serves a purpose for the younger preschool through 1st grade learner at some point learning needs to be just that. I love that K5 does not have the student earning points to play games. And even though the site is not what I would call "cutesy" it is also not boring in its look - I felt the colors and graphics used were fun and the voices easy to understand.

I especially liked that parent's have a dashboard area to review and see the progress their child is making through the lessons.

While K5 Learning cannot stand alone as a curriculum for your student it makes a great supplemental tool. Even if your child is not homeschooled they can benefit from the extra skills practice in Reading, Spelling, and Math - especially over the summer months, to assist with retention. 

Monthly subscriptions start at just $25 for one child {much cheaper than a private tutor}. Yearly subscriptions start at $199. K5 Learning offers a great 14 day free trial - no credit card required! Also, you can take a look at sample lessons here.

Would you like to read what my fellow crew mates thought of K5 Learning? Then head on over to the TOS Crew Blog.

&&&&&&&&<span class=

Disclaimer: I am reviewing these products on behalf of the TOS Crew. I received no compensation, other than a trial membership to K5 Learning, for the writing of this review. The contents of this review express my personal opinion of the website.


No comments: